Wednesday, October 10, 2012

UNSCDF Chapter 43- The Beginning of the End

Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
UNSC Richmond Outpost
August 4, 1999
2000 Local Time

Charlie saw the window open to the chat for Sarah and was immediately dazzled by her beautiful face and warm smile. Charlie didn’t know how to start the conversation off because he was nervous and excited to get back in contact with Sarah.
            “Hi Sarah.” Charlie typed thinking it would be best to start off with a simple greeting.
            Charlie sat at his computer patiently waiting for Sarah to reply. He had been patient for so long trying to get back in contact with her. Now, seeing Sarah has made him feel emotional and his heart flutter.
            “Hi Charlie.” Sarah typed back after a long period of time.
            “Oh my gosh, thank goodness you are safe. I’ve been worried sick about you.” Charlie replied speedily spilling out his heart.
             “Aw, that’s so sweet of you. It’s been a while, hasn’t it?” Sarah asked.
            “Yes it has. I’ve been working hard over here trying to find you.” Charlie answered.
            “Really?” Sarah was surprised.
            “Yes, no joke. I had to do a lot of missions to get my reputation and clearance just so I can find you.” Charlie typed quickly.
            “Oh, wow.” Sarah was amazed.
            “There were times that I nearly died or had given up hope, but you were my inspiration. My hope. My passion.” Charlie typed with shaky hands as he felt himself shake from the nervousness.
            Charlie waited for Sarah to reply, but got no response for more than five minutes. He figured that he might as well type out the poem he had written for her on his first mission.
            “Sarah, I want to show you a poem that I had written for you when I was cornered by zombies on top of a tower.” Charlie typed and pulled out his napkin from his pocket.
            Charlie unfolded the napkin and began to type. Some words had faded, but he knew exactly which words he had written in the poem. After a couple of minutes transcribing the poem, he hit “Enter”. He waited for a few minutes for Sarah to digest his poem and he stared at the monitor.
            “That’s…” Sarah replied.
            “I know I’m not the best poet or a good writer.” Charlie quickly added.
             “It’s fine. That’s very nice of you. It’s the thought that counts.” Sarah replied with a happy face.
            “Thanks.” Charlie smiled.
            “How’s the military life?” Sarah changed the subject.
            “The UNSC life is very dangerous and hard work. But, it’s all worth it for me just so I can see you. If I work here long enough, I’m going to Australia to meet you.” Charlie spoke his mind.
            “Oh…” Sarah typed.
            “Yes, I want to meet you in person. I love you Sarah.” Charlie typed as he felt his heart flutter and beat rapidly.
            “About that…” Sarah replied.
            “What?” Charlie asked shyly.
            “I don’t want to hurt you anymore.” Sarah typed slowly.
            “What’s wrong?” Charlie felt his chest tightening.
            “I don’t know how to tell you without hurting you.” Sarah put on a sad face.     
            “Go on, I’m sure it’s not that bad…” Charlie assured.
            “I’m in love with another man…I’m sorry.” Sarah blurted out.
            Charlie felt his heart sting as he read the words Sarah typed.
            “What…” Charlie typed with sadness.
            “I’m sorry.” Sarah replied.
            “There’s no chance is there?” Charlie typed with a sigh.
            “There isn’t. I’m married, Charlie. I’m really sorry.” Sarah typed back.
            “What?” Charlie squinted his eyes in sorrow.
            “Please don’t make it harder that it already is…” Sarah requested.
            “Okay Sarah…” Charlie tried to toughen up and lock up his emotions.
            “Thank you.” Sarah thanked.
            “Congratulations Sarah. I’m so happy for you. The very last thing I can do at this point is making you happy. If you are happy, I will be too.” Charlie typed with a grim face.
            “Thanks Charlie. I am happy…” Sarah replied.
            Deep down, Charlie was crumbling to pieces. Sarah was happy, but was he? The only thing he cared left on this forsaken planet was Sarah and she was married to another man. It hurt him very deep. Charlie joined the UNSC to find her and meet her, but it seems like all of that seemed impossible with the current situation.
            “Good.” Charlie replied with a forced smile.
            “You are a wonderful guy. I’m sure there are people out there.” Sarah typed with a happy face.
            “I don’t know if I can find someone like you…” Charlie felt a tear trickle down his cheek.
            “I’m sure there is.” Sarah reassured.
            “If there is, I’m sure I wouldn’t have the same feelings that I had for you because I’ve given a piece of my heart to you.” Charlie felt another tear trickle down his cheek.
            “Well, don’t stop looking for the One.” Sarah replied.
            Charlie couldn’t take it anymore. Tears that he’d been trying to hold had now begun to drip down his face. Sarah had felt like the One, but it seems that destiny had played its cards.
            “Charlie, I’ve got to go now. Accessing the network here is very limited.” Sarah typed.
            “Okay…I hope to see you soon.” Charlie typed quickly.
            “Yeah…” Sarah replied with uncertainty.
            “Always know that I will always love you regardless.” Charlie blurted out his broken heart’s content.
            Charlie sat uneasily on his chair looking at Sarah’s picture. He loved Sarah for who she was. It was not just the looks, but her soul. And that was the beauty.
            “Goodbye Charlie, may you live a happy and peaceful life.” Sarah typed her warm wishes.
            With that, Sarah went offline and left Charlie staring at her last message in deep thought. After processing the last message from Sarah in his mind, Charlie covered his face and weeped silently. Uncertain with the future ahead of him, he reached for his sidearm and pulled the pistol out of his holster. He looked at Sarah’s photo and smiled.
            “I don’t know if I’ll have a happy life without you.” Charlie mumbled as he studied his USP.
            Charlie placed the USP on his desk and sobbed as he laid his head on the desk. After twenty minutes of wallowing in despair, he lifted his head up as he heard a knock on his door. He quickly wiped his tears with his sleeve and reached to grab his pistol. Just as he lifted up the pistol, he saw Mary’s note.
            “Mary…” Charlie’s eyes widened with some hope.
            As much as it pains him after what he’d been through, Charlie felt a little hope flew back into him. There may be a chance for him in the darkest of times after all…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and give your feedback. Thanks!