Friday, August 23, 2013

The Summer Forest (A Short Story)



            It was a scorching summer in the countryside where the sun bathed the lands with its stinging rays. There was a clear pond adjacent beside a gravel path in a thick forest that I usually jog home from school. I would sit down beside the small pond and stick my feet into the cold glistening water trying to cool myself down. Fishes would swim so close to the surface that I can almost touch them, but I don’t because they know it’s me. It was my pond and it belonged to me alone.

            This was a special place, a place of calmness and a way out of the hard stressful life. The leaves rustled as a gentle breeze blew from the clear skies. The shadow of the towering trees cascaded over me like a giant standing in front of the sunlight protecting me. It was my home, a second home, which was way better than the one I had in reality. No one knew of this place in this forest, not even my parents. Time and time, I would tell them that I took the paved roads home a few miles beside the forest or that I walked home with some friends. The truth is, I didn’t want to walk in the middle of the road alone and I didn’t have much friends.

            Life was not easy for me, especially when I wasn’t the smartest in the class or the most athletic in gym. I liked the forest, I found peace and tranquility that helped me cope with the reality I had. It was a shame that I had no one to share it with until I met her…
           
            She was dressed in tight jeans with a purple hoodie walking in front of me across the pond. As she walked, her brown hair fluttered freely in the air almost as if they were dancing by themselves. I glanced at her and rubbed my eyes making sure that I was not in a dream. She noticed me sitting by the pond and smiled as she walked closer.
           
            “Hi.” the girl spoke briefly and sweetly.

            “Hello.” I reply.

            “What’s your name?” the girl sat down beside me.

            “Charlie.” I reply.

            “Kaitlin, but you can call me Katie.” the girl introduced by sticking out her hand.
           
            “Nice to meet you.” I shook her hand.

            There was something I remembered about Katie when I shook her hand. Her hands were warm and soft complimenting my cold feet in the pond. And her smile, I remember the smile when she saw me. It was a smile of openness and happiness that I sought for.

            “What are you doing here?” I asked shyly barely able to look at her face.

            “Oh, this is my place. My hideout is over there.” Katie pointed down the pond into a thicket of bushes.

            “Can I see it?” I stared at the bushes and slowly got up.

            “Sure. So, Charlie what are you doing here?” Katie asked me back.

            “I walk home from school through here. I haven’t see you around, are you new?” I replied with a blush and then look at my feet.

            “No, I’m home schooled. Dad lets me leave the house now that I’ve grown up.” Katie answered and blushed back.

            Katie grabbed my hand and then tugged me to her hideout. In the thicket of green bushes, I saw an opening. She led me inside and I saw a cozy little room she had made. A woven blanket was on the ground and a small knapsack settled beside the entrance. The hideout had a low ceiling, but a small gap overhead allowed some sunlight to shine inside and illuminate the interiors.

            “Sorry, it’s a bit small in here.” Katie apologized and reached into her knapsack.

            “No, it’s alright.” I ducked my head to avoid a sharp twig.

            “Here, have a snack.” Katie produced a granola bar from her knapsack and handed it to me.

            In my mind, I was thinking who this girl was and why she was here. I never had a friend who was this nice let alone, a girlfriend. So I graciously accepted her offering of food and slowly began to have a conversation with her. We talked and talked until the sun went down and that we had to go our ways. As I was walking back on the final mile towards home, I stopped and thought if I should ask her to be my girlfriend. She was a nice girl who shared similar interests that I had. I smiled and told myself that I would have to ask her the next day.

            “Hey Katie…” I mumbled trying to find the courage in my words.

            “Yeah?” Katie turned her head and smiled as we walked down the gravel path.

            “I like you.” I said it quickly and then turned my head away as I die from shyness.

            “Aww, that’s sweet. I like you too.” Katie blushed and grabbed my hand.

            This was a moment that I would always remember and dream of if I had the chance. Until that day, I had no purpose and no reason behind life, but now I had found it. It was her, it was Katie.

           Over the next few days, we developed more feelings for each other as we had make-believe adventures in the forest. There was a time, where we went climbing the tall trees and watching the sun settle down. And there was a time I was the prince who had to rescue the princess from a tower. Gosh, the memories lasted for a lifetime. She made me happy and I made her happy. I was a happy person back then and nothing was going to stop me, but I was wrong. Sooner or later, the summer break was over for her and she had to remain back home while I had more intensive studying.

            One day, when we finally got a chance to see each other in the cold harsh winter when the pond was frozen with ice. I held her in my arms and cuddled inside her hideout and smiled.

            “I wish this moment could last forever.” I smiled and gaze dreamily into her eyes.

            “Me too.” Katie smiled warmly.

            I saw the opportunity as she looked into my eyes and I planted a kiss on her cold lips. It was divine and it was perfect. We continued to make out until we had to go before the temperature dropped below zero.

            The next following days before the New Year, I was informed that I was moving into the big city and going to start a new life. My heart was torn because I had to leave Katie in the countryside while I was off exploring the horizons. One night, I stormed off into the windy night with a letter that I had written for her. It was a promise to come back for her and take her with me. I knew I wouldn’t be able to tell her in time, so I placed the letter in her hideout where she usually sat and ran home with tears streaming down my face.

            It had been four long years since I left the countryside for the city life. Four years I held on to the promise I made for Katie that I would come back for her. When I drove my car to where the forest was, it was no more. The rich green forest that I remembered was now replaced with a residential area. My memories, my home, and my Katie were no more. I sighed and walked into the row of townhouses and to my surprise the pond was still there. The builders had turned it into a small park and a play area for children. I sat down on the bench to look at the children play as I held onto a bracelet that she made for me. The words of her name were worn off, but I could still make out the letters by touch. As I examined the bracelet and felt nostalgic, a person tapped me on the shoulder. I turn around and saw her.

            “Hey, it’s me.” Katie gave me the same smile on the day she first saw me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and give your feedback. Thanks!