Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Day 1

Day 1
Tues. Sept. 10th, 2013

First day of classes at Waterloo University starting on a Tuesday unlike other people. Since I have a full Monday off, I'm thinking of doing all the shopping, laundry, and study time there. The walk to school was really hot in the afternoon as I tredged down the road in the scorching sun and humid air.
So ENGL100A and VCULT100 starts today.

To be honest, ENGL100A was not what I had originally intended to be. It wasn't the same old high school english class anymore. There were more readings and essays due. Yes, I said essays. It isn't a 2-3 page essay anymore...it now was a 4-6 minimum up to 8-paged essay. Oh lord, I think I'm stressing out already. When I looked at the syllabus and saw that I would have to read so many novels and write about it, I was concerned for my grade standing in this class. I can write and read novels for sure, but I can't write a good academic paper. This comes to the debate of using my left brain vs. the right. I'm thinking of dropping this course before it takes the life out of me.

VCULT100 was in a theatre packed with people. Typical lecture room you would see in a movie. I wonder what they say about PSYC101...that place is massive. Anyways, this class lasted longer than ENGL100A, but somehow I was able to pick up the interest even though there were some challenging assignments.

After both classes were over, I decided that I was literally stressed over my ENGL100A and the fact I needed to buy course readings. Mainly ENGL100A because I have a feeling it was going to take a toll in me for the rest of the semester.

So I had a massive discussion with my parents talking about options for dropping and replacing. If I drop, I can relieve that stress, but I needed to take another course to get my credits. Upon realization if I picked up a course, I would be one class behind and it would substantially make a difference in my attendance and learnings. I was frustrated, depressed...you name it. I talked to some of my distant friends for ideas, but I got nothing. I was stuck and I needed some sort of guidance. Academic Advisors can't talk to you at night and it was a matter of urgency. At last, I called up my girlfriend and we video chatted about the issue. Then it dawned on me when she told me what she would do. Despite all the negative emotions telling me to quit...to drop, I found a sense of determination and strength. A determination that I was going to face my challenges in ENGL100A and give it all I've got. I shouldn't quit because of a challenge and difficulty...I needed to face it...to confront it.
I know that my mark won't be the best for ENGL100A, but I will know that I didn't give up without a fight. So the fight begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and give your feedback. Thanks!