Thursday, August 16, 2012

UNSCDF Chapter 13- The Beginning


Bankstown, New South Wales, Australia
UNSC Relief Center
July 18, 1999
2030 Local Time

            “We’re here.” al-Rahman parked the car and waved at two marines to come over.
            “What is it sir?” a marine asked.
            “Our Pelican crashed a couple kilometers southwest of Roberts Park.” al-Rahman opened the door for Sarah to get out.
            “How many souls on board?” a marine took out a notepad.
            “Nine plus three. We are the survivors.” al-Rahman pointed at himself and Sarah.
            “Alright, we’ll notify operations and do a run to pick up bodies.” the marine placed his notepad into his pocket and left.
            “So this is it Sarah. You’ll be living here now. I’ve got to get back to my platoon and get back to work.” al-Rahman walked Sarah to a building.
            “Don’t leave me here alone.” Sarah felt scared after hearing that al-Rahman was leaving her alone in the center.
            “Don’t worry Sarah. I have a friend of mine working here. He’s a police officer and maybe you’ll learn some skills from him.” al-Rahman opened the door for Sarah to enter into the building.
            al-Rahman walked to a room and knocked on the door. A man about the same age as al-Rahman with a dark tanned skin greeted al-Rahman with a hug.
            “Taylor.” al-Rahman hugged.
            “Az, it’s been a while.” the man hugged back.
            “I would like you to meet Sarah.” al-Rahman introduced Sarah to Taylor.
            “Hello.” Sarah said shyly.
            “Officer White, but you can call me Taylor like my buddy Az.” Taylor laughed.
            “Can you take good care of her for me?” al-Rahman asked.
            “Of course Az.” Taylor looked at Sarah “What’s your story?”
            “Umm…” Sarah froze.
            “We actually survived a crash landing and she was the person who pulled me out of the wreckage before it exploded.” al-Rahman looked at Sarah and gave her reassuring eyes.
            “Wow, Sarah. You saved my best friend’s life. I owe you.” Taylor grabbed two seats over for them to sit.
            “It was nothing.” Sarah blushed.
            “Sarah’s got a lot of potential. Train her in the arts of marksmanship.” al-Rahman said.
            “Sure. How does sniping sound to you Sarah?” Taylor asked.
            “I’ve always wanted to try it out.” Sarah replied with excitement.
            “Looks like it’s settled then.” al-Rahman got up his seat “I’ve got to regroup with my platoon now.”
            “See you later bud.” Taylor got up and shook al-Rahman’s hand.
            “Have fun Sarah, I’ll visit when I can.” al-Rahman patted Sarah’s back.
            “We’ll have lots of fun shooting.” Taylor smiled.
            “Thanks Az.” Sarah smiled.
            With that, al-Rahman walked out the door leaving Sarah alone with Taylor.
            “Sarah, you got a family?” Taylor asked.
            “Yeah, except I can’t find them.” Sarah said with disappointment.
            “What is your last name?” Taylor asked.
            “Hunter.” Sarah replied.
            “Any brothers or sisters?” Taylor took out his notepad.
            “An older sister, she moved out three years ago and I haven’t heard from her after that.” Sarah replied. 
            “Parents? What about them?” Taylor began his investigation.
           “My dad’s a family doctor in Sydney and my mom’s an accountant working at a firm in Strathfield.” Sarah answered.
            “Sydney…” Taylor jotted it down “That place got hammered pretty bad.”
            “I know. With some luck, he can still be alive.” Sarah replied with optimism.
            “Name?” Taylor asked.
            “Fred Parks.” Sarah replied “My mom’s Joanne Hunter.”
            “I see. I thought you’re Sarah Hunter.” Taylor remarked.
            “Parks is my real last name. I said Hunter because it can be easier finding my mother in Strathfield unlike Sydney.” Sarah explained.
            “Very well.” Taylor scribbled down notes.
            “I feel that they’re still out there.” Sarah looked as Taylor wrote his notes.
            “I’ll go look around for you.” Taylor closed his notepad and looked at Sarah. “Don’t worry.”
            “Thanks.” Sarah smiled lightly.
            “You want to grab some food? I’ve been sitting in this room doing some work all day long.” Taylor stood up.
            “Sure.” Sarah stood up.
            “After that, we’ll go do some firearms training.” Taylor winked.



Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
UNSC Richmond Outpost
July 19, 1999
0830 Local Time

            Charlie sat beside Fay’s hospital bed and looked at the heart monitor. A bald man in his fifties walked beside Charlie and grabbed a seat.
            “Fay told me everything about you. Had it not been for your efforts, Fay may have not made it back home.” the man spoke and looked at a sleeping Fay.
            “Oh, we’re all humans. It is the compassion that binds most of us.” Charlie looked at the man’s uniform.
            “Thanks for getting our research in one piece.” the man took out the datapad which Charlie passed it over to a marine on his way to get Fay medical attention.
            “You must be Lieutenant Major Jerry Cole.” Charlie looked closely on the name on the man’s uniform and saw the word “Cole”.
            “Yeah, that’s me.” Cole placed the datapad onto his belt.
            “Pleased to meet you.” Charlie stuck out his hand.
            “Likewise.” Cole shook Charlie’s hand.
            “I heard you wanted to enlist in the UNSC.” Cole stood up.
            “That’s correct.” Charlie nodded his head.
            “Why?” Cole asked.
            “Why not? The survival of the human species is dependent on how hard we fight back. An extra hand may save an extra life.” Charlie explained and thought about Sarah.
            “Well put. It turns out Fay was right, you do have leadership element. With more training and experience, perhaps you can become a general in the future.” Cole replied.
            “Thanks.” Charlie replied shyly.
            “I’ll go file some paperwork and get you to our Officer Corps. I’ll see you later, Lieutenant.” Cole saluted and walked off.
            “Thank you, sir.” Charlie quickly saluted back.
            Charlie looked at Fay and then stood next to him.
            “Thank you Fay.” Charlie whispered.
           Charlie turned around and went out the room. He paused for a moment and then decided to look around the outpost.
            “Can I help you?” a tough looking marine approached Charlie as he walked past two marines chatting on a couch.
            “I’m just looking around.” Charlie replied.
            “You new here?” the marine asked.
            “Yeah.” Charlie nodded.
            “Welcome, I’m Fred Casey.” the marine greeted.
            “Charlie, I also go by Zyrok.” Charlie greeted back.
            “Jonathan Hawkes.” the other marine stood up from the couch and greeted.
            “Nice to meet you.” Charlie smiled.
            “Hawkes, go on without me. I’ll show Charlie around.” Casey told Hawkes as he looked at his watch.
            “Got it sir.” Hawkes replied and walked off.
            “So Charlie, I like your other name. Zyrok sounds like a great covert name.” Casey pointed it out.
            “Yeah, I don’t mind which one you call me.” Charlie laughed lightly.
            “Zyrok it is then.” Casey waved his hand. “Follow me.”
            “Alright.” Charlie smiled and followed Casey.
            Casey led Charlie to a cafeteria full of marines and lined up for food.
            “I’ll have the usual missus.” Casey smiled at a young girl with blonde hair serving the food.
            “Sure, who’s you’re new friend?” the girl asked and looked at Charlie.
            “That’s Zyrok.” Casey winked at Charlie.
            “Oooh, that’s unusual for a name.” the girl looked at Charlie.
            “Real name’s Charlie.” Charlie stuck out his hand.
            “I like your name Zyrok. It’s different.” the girl shook Charlie’s hand.
            “What’s your name?” Charlie asked.
            “Mary. So what can I get you today?” the girl asked.
            “Whatever the special it is today, I’ll take it.” Charlie looked at the menu.
            “Baked beans with garlic toast.” Casey interrupted.
            “Or he can have spaghetti and meatballs.” Mary smiled.
            “But it’s not on the menu.” Casey complained.
            “True, Zyrok asked for the special and I am giving him the special.” Mary flashed her eyes at Casey.
            Mary scooped a bowl of spaghetti and dropped ten meatballs on top of the spaghetti and handed over to Charlie’s platter.
            “How come I get six meatballs every time I ask for pasta?” Casey looked at Charlie’s bowl.
            “Just cause.” Mary winked at Charlie.
            “Gee, thanks.” Charlie blushed lightly.
            “Alright, let’s get moving.” Casey groaned.
            “See you around.” Mary smiled at Charlie.
            “Yeah, for sure.” Charlie smiled back.
            Casey grabbed a seat and pulled up a chair for Charlie.
            “I think Mary likes you.” Casey ate his sandwich.
            “I think she was just being nice.” Charlie commented.
            “Yeah, totally man.” Casey pointed at Charlie’s meatballs “Because I never got ten.”
            “You want one? I don’t mind if you grab a meatball.” Charlie laughed lightly and offered his bowl.
            “Nah, I’m fine.” Casey declined.
            “Great. I am so hungry.” Charlie said sarcastically as he bit on a meatball.
            “You should give her a shot man.” Casey eyed Mary busily serving other marines. “Girls like her are hard to come by.”
            “I know…” Charlie’s voice trailed off as he thought about Sarah.
            Charlie turned his head at Mary and noticed her watching him. Charlie smiled and Mary smiled back and looked away shyly.
            “See what I mean?” Casey pointed as he saw the exchange of smiles.
            “What?” Charlie smiled pretending as if nothing happened.
            “Gentlemen.” a man spoke from behind them.
            “Sir!” Casey turned around and saluted to Cole.
            “Hello sir.” Charlie saluted.
            “At ease, gentlemen. I see you folks are getting along well.” Cole pointed out.
            “Just showing him around.” Casey replied.
            “He’s been a great help.” Charlie said and looked at Casey.
            “Charlie, I need you to come to my office after you’ve finished. I’ve got some paperwork.” Cole pointed at Charlie’s food.
            “Got it. I’ll be there shortly.” Charlie began to munch on the food.
            “Take your time, just see me before tonight.” Cole patted Charlie’s shoulders.
            “Ok.” Charlie slowed down his speed.
            “Later, Lieutenant.” Cole walked off.
            “Lieutenant? Holy crap, I didn’t know.” Casey almost spat out his food.
            “It’s fine. I just got enlisted in the UNSC Officer Corps.” Charlie wiped his face with a napkin.
            “Perhaps you’ll be my commanding officer in the future.” Casey finished his sandwich.
            “You never know…” Charlie finished his bowl of spaghetti and wiped his face.
            “I wouldn’t mind. You’re a swell guy.” Casey patted Charlie on the back.
            “I’ll go see Cole now and do some paperwork. I’ll catch you later.” Charlie dumped the garbage into a waste bin.
            “Yeah, you go on ahead.” Casey dumped his garbage.
            Charlie looked at Mary and waved goodbye, but she was too busy to notice it.
            “This is going to be interesting.” Charlie thought about leading Casey’s team as he headed out the cafeteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and give your feedback. Thanks!