Sunday, September 9, 2012

UNSCDF Chapter 27- Open Discussions



Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Scavengers’ Holdout
July 26, 1999
1030 Local Time

            Charlie sat in a detention cell and looked at the bars. Casey and Hawkes were in the cells adjacent to him while Taylor was in front of him. A guard walked in with a man in his late thirties with a beard.
            “Not bad, you managed to bypass our security.” the bearded man approached in front of Charlie’s cell.
            “Well, I had to come back for my men.” Charlie studied the man.
            “Ah, most of them would rather avoid death and not rescue their men.” the man rubbed his chin.
            It’s my responsibility to look out for my men. Every life we got is important especially in a world like this.” Charlie looked at his men.
            “Yet you put your life over theirs, Lieutenant.” the man looked at Charlie’s insignia.
            “They’d do the same for me, why would it be different if I was their CO?” Charlie eyed Casey and nodded.
            “Well, well, well…a man who has guts and values life.” the man clapped his hands.
            “What do you want?” Charlie demanded.
            “I bet you’re waiting to be rescued. So we’re going to use you as hostage or leverage.” the man smiled.
            “Actually…” Charlie began to speak.
            “Look, we have an officer captured as well as your property.” the man grinned.
            “The UNSC doesn’t negotiate with terrorists.” Charlie concluded.
            “Then I guess you’re expendable to them. It’s a shame how you value other people’s life, but they don’t value yours.” the man sighed.
            “I know they don’t. Which is why I didn’t call for reinforcements when I came here. I didn’t want innocent people to be killed for something that was just between the UNSC and the Scavengers.” Charlie explained.
            “Oh, so no one knows you guys are captured…” the man reached into his pocket to look at a piece of paper.
            “I must say. If the UNSC knew about the civilians here, I’m sure we could work together.” Charlie suggested.
            “Guard, release him. Let’s have a chat Lieutenant.” the man ordered the guard.
            The guard took out a set of keys and unlocked the cell door. The guard handcuffed Charlie and grabbed him out of his cell.
            “Follow me.” the man turned and headed out the room.
            Charlie looked at his men and nodded his head to reassure his men before exiting the room with the guard. Charlie walked down a hallway and entered an office.
            “Take a seat Lieutenant…” the man pointed at a chair in front of his desk.
            “Lieutenant Zyrok.” Charlie sat down.
            “An uncommon name for an uncommon man.” the man sat down.
            “And you are?” Charlie asked out of curiosity.
            “Anthony Wells, the leader of the Scavengers.” the man brushed his beard.
            “So, what do you want to talk about?” Charlie looked around the room.
            “Let’s talk about the briefcase. I know you’re here to take it back. I want to know what’s inside.” Anthony reached under his desk and pulled out the briefcase.
            “You haven’t opened it? I don’t even know what’s inside.” Charlie laughed.
            “There’s a fingerprint scanner with a key code on it.” Anthony showed Charlie.
            “I don’t know. My task was a search and recover mission. I do the job and don’t ask the questions.” Charlie shrugged.
            “Very well, you seem to be telling me the truth.” Anthony studied Charlie’s face.
            “I am.” Charlie spoke calmly.
            “Look, you can have it back.” Anthony slid the briefcase to Charlie’s feet.
            “Just like that?” Charlie eyed Anthony cautiously.
            “Just like that. Look, I agree with your idea of working together. A lot of survivors here are getting sick and we’re getting low on medical supplies. Can you be able to get some supplies for us? We are big on farming and food resources over here.” Anthony explained and released Charlie’s restraints.
            “Sounds like a good exchange.” Charlie nodded.
            “One thing, we would still like to govern ourselves. We don’t want a militaristic structure to be run over here.” Anthony added.
            “Alright, I’ll keep that in mind.” Charlie tapped his head.
            “Sounds good.” Anthony stood up and stuck out his hand.
            “Hey, I can’t guarantee everything. I’m only a Lieutenant. I will do my best because in the end, it’s all about the survival of mankind.” Charlie shook Anthony’s hand.
            “Fine.” Anthony nodded.
            “You don’t mind returning all confiscated weapons? I can call my pilot to land here and take us back to our outpost.” Charlie asked politely.
            “We’ll return your items, but take you outside our base for you to call your ride.” Anthony responded.
            “Very well.” Charlie thanked.
            “I’ll send a guard to release your men.” Anthony nodded at a guard.


Bankstown, New South Wales, Australia
UNSC Relief Center
July 28, 1999
0715 Local Time

            A Falcon landed on the landing pad and two marines walked up with a wheelchair. The marines lifted Cookson from his seat and transferred him to the wheelchair. Cookson groaned and then sat comfortably as a marine pushed him towards the medical building.
            “Cookson!” Sarah ran up to Cookson holding a M21.
            “Hey Sarah.” Cookson smiled.
            “What happened to you?” Sarah looked at his cast.
            “Jumped out of a building.” Cookson laughed.
            “It’s not funny. You could have been killed.” Sarah stared at Cookson. 
            “It’s not like we had a choice.” Cookson covered his face as he thought about Az.
            “Sir, let me push him. I’ll take him to the medical facility.” Sarah spoke to the marine pushing the wheelchair.
            “Alright. Take him to the third floor to do a physical assessment.” the marine pushed the wheelchair in front of Sarah.
            “Thanks.” Sarah smiled and began to push Cookson.
            “Sarah, there’s something I want to tell you.” Cookson turned his head.
            “Yeah?” Sarah continued to push Cookson towards the building.
            “What exactly happened at Sydney…” Cookson’s voice trailed off.
            “What happened?” Sarah stopped and crouched in front of Cookson.
            “Az. His sacrifice for me.” Cookson felt upset.
            “What happened to Az?” Sarah looked concerned.
            “We got cornered at the top of the Centerpoint Sydney Tower. We had only one parachute and only Az knew. He gave me the chute and pushed me off the tower.” Cookson covered his face in sorrow.
            “Az…” Sarah spoke to herself.
            “He sacrificed himself so that I could live.” Cookson touched Sarah’s hand.
            “It’s my fault.” Sarah looked away.
            “It’s not your fault. There was no way out from the tower. Both of us would have died if neither of us jumped.” Cookson grabbed Sarah and hugged her.
            “No, I made Az sacrifice himself. He said that he was going to watch out for you even if it meant his life so that we could be together.” Sarah rubbed her eyes.
            “That’s what he said to me before he pushed me down.” Cookson soothed Sarah.
            “I didn’t stop him…” Sarah reflected.
            “There’s nothing we can do now. We can only hope that he’s still alive out there.” Cookson pointed at the smoke coming from Sydney.
            “Oh, he’s still alive out there?” Sarah replied with hope.
            “Well, he’s MIA. We’ll never know until we find him.” Cookson answered.
            “Alright, let’s get you inside.” Sarah continued to push the wheelchair towards the building.
            A marine opened the door for the pair and Sarah pushed Cookson to the front desk. Sarah looked at a sign and turned towards the elevator. Cookson sat in the wheelchair and watched as Sarah pressed the elevator button.
            “Sarah.” Cookson called out.
            “Yeah?” Sarah spun around.
            “During the time we thought we were going to die, I realized that I didn’t tell you before I left.” Cookson looked a bit nervous.
            “And what is that?” Sarah wondered.
            “I love you.” Cookson blushed lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and give your feedback. Thanks!