Thursday, September 20, 2012

UNSCDF Chapter 33- Deep Reflections



Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Scavengers’ Holdout
July 27, 1999
2115 Local Time

            Anthony took Charlie to their warehouse and opened the door.
            “Here’s our food storage.” Anthony pointed at bags marked with “Seeds” and “Millet”.
            “That’s quite a supply you got there.” Charlie widened his eyes in disbelief.
            “I’ll have my men load up fifty kilos of these.” Anthony waved a man over.
            “Thanks.” Charlie smiled.
            “I’ll also put in two boxes of fresh vegetables.” Anthony offered as he walked Charlie out of the warehouse.
            “Organic?” Charlie joked.
            “Of course.” Anthony laughed.
            “I’m really glad we got this alliance going.” Charlie spoke his mind.
            “I like this free trade agreement we got going.” Anthony directed Charlie to the farms.
       “Definitely increases the survivability of the human race.” Charlie watched two women dig up potatoes.
            “You married Lieutenant?” Anthony watched as the women waved at them.
            “No, I’m not.” Charlie waved at the women.
            “If you’re looking to settle down, this is a good place.” Anthony pointed at the surroundings.
            “I’m sure it is, but I’ve got duties and a personal goal I need to do.” Charlie replied with a straight face.
            “Ah, yes. You’re an officer in the UNSC, but do you really want a career in the military?” Anthony questioned.
            “Well, everyone has their reasons.” Charlie thought about Sarah.
            “Then what’s your reason?” Save humanity? I’m sure it’s not that.” Anthony asked as he sat down on a bench.
            “It’s complicated.” Charlie sat down beside Anthony.
            “Tell me, we’ve got time.” Anthony relaxed himself.
            “I don’t feel comfortable.” Charlie felt uneasy.
            “Hey man, I’m not here to judge. I’ve heard many different reasons as to why people enlist. I’m sure yours might be common.” Anthony looked at Charlie’s face.
            “I joined the UNSC in hopes of finding a girl I like in Australia.” Charlie said with one breath.
            “Wow man. Australia is far…” Anthony wondered.
            “Yeah, it’s insane isn’t it?” Charlie asked.
            “I don’t see it as insane. I see it as determination.” Anthony complimented.
            “Thanks. Sometimes I wonder if she knows I’m out there looking for her.” Charlie looked at the dark sky.
            “I’m sure she will.” Anthony reassured.
            “I hope so.” Charlie looked upset.
       “Cheer up big fellow, you’re making a lot of progress in the UNSC. You’ll find her one day.” Anthony patted Charlie’s shoulder.
            “Thanks.” Charlie’s face lit with some hope.
            “Let’s get you a drink.” Anthony got up and pointed at a building.
         “Sure.” Charlie got up and watched as the women on the farm headed indoors with a basket of potatoes.
            Anthony led Charlie to a building filled with lively music and people. Anthony walked up to the bartender and grabbed a seat.
            “Hop on. What can I get you?” Drink’s on me.” Anthony patted on a stool beside him.
            “Iced water would be fine.” Charlie sat down.
            “Water? You got to be kidding me.” Anthony laughed.
            “I don’t drink alcohol.” Charlie looked at people dancing around him.
            “I see, you’re still on the job.” Anthony waved the bartender over.
            “What can I get you sir?” the bartender asked.
            “I’ll have a glass of red wine and iced water for this young lad here.” Anthony replied and pointed at Charlie.
            “Alright, red wine and iced water coming up.” the bartender repeated in acknowledgement.
            “You dance Charlie?” Anthony looked at a couple of women dancing alone.
            “I’m fine. You go right on ahead.” Charlie scanned the crowd and saw Hawkes sitting at a table with three women.
            “Here you go.” the bartender interrupted and placed their drinks in front of them.
            “Very well Charlie, I’m going to dance.” Anthony took a sip of red wine and walked off towards the women.
            Charlie grabbed his glass and drank it halfway before walking over to Hawkes. Hawkes seemed to be enjoying himself as the women played around his uniform and hair. Charlie slowly stood in front of Hawkes amused until Hawkes finally realized that he was standing
            “Sir!” Hawkes jumped up and saluted Charlie.
            “At ease Hawkes.” Charlie returned a salute.
            The three women stared at Charlie like they’ve never seen a guy before. Charlie felt a little uneasy and turned his face around to Hawkes.
            “Ladies, that’s my Lieutenant.” Hawkes introduced.
            Two women approached Charlie and touched his arms. Charlie took a step back to distance himself from the women.
            “I’m sorry ladies, but I’ve got work to do.” Charlie lied.
            “You need some help boss?” Hawkes offered.
            “Yeah, I’m fine. I’ve got to oversee some operations.” Charlie made the story up.
            The women expressed their disappointment and then turned back to Hawkes. Charlie sighed and then walked out the building. Charlie looked at the starry night sky and sat down on a curb with the remaining glass of water in his hand. Charlie took a sip and watched as more people entered the building which he came out.
            “People here are having a good time even when outside the holdout is nothing but chaos and destruction.” Charlie thought and reflected.
            Charlie felt a surge of sadness sweep over him. He missed the good old days. Life seemed to be better before the apocalypse, but it seems like life remained the same at the Scavenger’s Holdout. Charlie finished his glass of water and slid an ice cube into his mouth. The coldness of the ice spread throughout his cheek and he coughed.
            “You alright Zyrok?” Hawkes sat down beside him.
            “Why’d you come out? I thought you were having a good time.” Charlie asked and crunched the ice in his mouth before swallowing.
            “I was, but I’ve never seen you look so down before. So what’s up?” Hawkes asked with concern.
            “Stars and the moon.” Charlie looked at the sky and replied with a serious face.
            “No seriously, what’s going on?” Hawkes spoke directly.
            “It is the stars and the moon.” Charlie stressed.
            “What about them?” Hawkes asked.
            “They remind me of someone.” Charlie sighed.
            “Who?” Hawkes questioned.
            “Sarah.” Charlie reached into his chest pocket and pulled out the poem he had written on his first mission.
            “Ah, a girl. What about Sarah?” Hawkes replied.
            “She’s the reason why I’m in the UNSC. I enlisted hoping to find her one day.” Charlie looked at his poem.
            “Don’t worry, we’ll find her. The Scavengers can help as well.” Hawkes assured.
            “You don’t understand.” Charlie sighed “She’s in Australia.”
            “Oh…” Hawkes paused for a moment.
            “It’s fine mate, I’ll have to take this journey alone.” Charlie replied.
            “You don’t need to. You’ve got me. What’s that in your hand?” Hawkes pointed at Charlie’s poem.
            “Oh, it’s a poem I wrote for her when I got stuck on that comms tower back in Abbotsford.” Charlie shrugged.
            “Oh that. May I see it?” Hawkes held out his hand.
            “Sure.” Charlie handed the napkin to Hawkes.
            “On that dark cold weary night…” Hawkes began to read.
            After a few minutes, Hawkes smiled and returned the napkin back to Charlie.
            “You’ve got some skills in poetry as well.” Hawkes complimented.
            “It’s really nothing, I won’t be famous anyways.” Charlie joked.
            “You should show this to her after seeing how much she means to you.” Hawkes suggested.
            “If I find her…” Charlie looked at the stars.
            “Come on, it’s getting cold out here. Let’s head indoors to chill.” Hawkes shivered as a gust of wind blew his hair.
            “Alright.” Charlie stood up and walked with Hawkes to a small building which was quieter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and give your feedback. Thanks!