Thursday, September 27, 2012

UNSCDF Chapter 37- The Paths of Life



Bankstown, New South Wales, Australia
UNSC Relief Center
August 3, 1999
1100 Local Time

            Taylor, Cookson, and Sarah stood in front of the “Wall of Fallen Heroes” and watched as a sergeant stuck a plaque marked “Private Daniel Johnson” next to a wall full of plaques. The sergeant looked at Cookson and saluted before walking off.
            “We are in your debt.” Taylor looked at the plaque.
            “Thank you Private Johnson.” Sarah stood still as she remembered his sacrifice.
            “He was a great man to the very end.” Cookson touched the plaque.
            “Cookson, I can’t express how sorry I am for you to lose your friend. Thank you for coming to get us.” Taylor placed his hand on Cookson’s shoulder.
            “Everyone makes sacrifices…” Cookson thought of Az.
            “Thank you.” Sarah leaned and placed her head beside Cookson’s arm.
            “I’m glad you are all safe.” Cookson brushed Sarah’s smooth hair.
            Taylor looked at the pair and decided to give them some space.
            “Oh, I have to meet up with an officer.” Taylor interrupted as he looked at his watch.
            “I’ll see you soon Taylor.” Sarah replied as Taylor walked off.
            Cookson held Sarah’s hand and gently pulled her away from the wall. Sarah smiled joyfully and watched as Cookson grabbed her to bench. Sarah sat down comfortably on the bench as Cookson stood in front of her.
            “Sarah, close your eyes.” Cookson requested.
            “Why?” Sarah looked at Cookson in the eyes.
            “I want you to imagine a place without zombies. Close your eyes and I’ll tell you the imagery and you can picture it.” Cookson explained.
            “Okay.” Sarah closed her eyes.
            “Good. Imagine life with any troubles or worries. Neither chaos nor destruction. Imagine everyday being happy and carefree.” Cookson spoke as he moved behind Sarah.
            Sarah smiled as she imagined the place Cookson had spoken. Sarah felt a nice cool breeze of wind blow her hair and bird chirping nearby. She saw herself running bare foot on the warm sand down in Gold Coast, Queensland. She saw birds flocking in the clear blue sky and the sound of water splashing on the shores. She smiled warmly as she saw herself lying on soft tall grass looking at the starry night at the Royal National Park in New South Wales. She could hear the crickets chirping in the distant and wind shuffling through the tall grass. Life seemed so good.
            “Open your eyes Sarah.” Cookson whispered into her ear softly.
            Sarah slowly opened her eyes and saw Cookson stick both hands from behind her holding a bouquet of red roses.
            “This is for you.” Cookson presented the roses.
            “Aw…this is so sweet of you.” Sarah took the roses and smelled them.
            “It’s so hard to find roses these days. Took me a while.” Cookson walked up in front of her.
            “I know.” Sarah sniffed the roses and smiled.
            “Sarah, I’ve been thinking about it for the past couple of days.” Cookson spoke nervously.
            “Thinking about what?” Sarah wondered.
            “I want to spend the rest of my life with you.” Cookson spoke and blushed.
            With that, Cookson crouched onto one knee in front of Sarah and reached into his pocket. Sarah gasped and was speechless.
            “Sarah Parks, will you marry me?” Cookson presented Sarah a small box and opened it to show her a silver ring.
            “Oh my gosh…” Sarah covered her mouth.
            “It’s not the typical ring with a big rock on it. This ring was passed on by my grandfather to my father.” Cookson looked at a Sarah with shy eyes.
            Sarah looked at the ring and then looked at Cookson. She didn’t know what to say to Cookson.
            “I want to spend the rest of my life with you and give you the life that I described. I want you to be the happiest girl in the world. We can take the journey together. What do you say?” Cookson looked at a speechless Sarah.
            “I…” Sarah tried to find the courage to say the words.
            Cookson smiled and continued to crouch holding the ring in front of Sarah.
            “I do.” Sarah blurted out and smiled.
            “I love you Sarah.” Cookson took the ring out of the box and slid it onto Sarah’s left hand.
            “I love you too.” Sarah looked at the ring on her finger and looked at Cookson.
            Cookson sat next to Sarah and gave her a passionate kiss. Sarah savored the moment and kissed Cookson for a very long time. Cookson brushed her hair as he kissed and felt her luscious lips pucker his lips. Cookson was happy that Sarah had agreed to marry him. He was never going to let her go and finally had someone to love and be loved back.


Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
UNSC Richmond Outpost
August 3, 1999
0945 Local Time

            With the new alliance with the Scavengers, the civilians were allowed access to live at either place. Civilians were given the opportunity to live under the UNSC government of the Scavengers’ government. This new access allowed the alliance to become stronger and more stable. Charlie was temporary referred to as the UNSC’s liaison officer until a suitable candidate was found so that Charlie could return to his other duties.
            “Hi Zyrok.” Mary greeted Charlie as he entered the cafeteria.
            “Hello Mary, how are you?” Mary took off her apron and stepped out of the counter.
            “I’m fine, thanks.”  Charlie smiled.
            “I see your career is taking off.” Mary grabbed a seat as Charlie sat down.
            “Yeah.” Charlie nodded.
            “A liaison officer? That’s a big role. I still can’t believe you opened up an alliance with the Scavengers.” Mary spoke with disbelief.
            “It’s only a temporary position. Someone should have offered an alliance a long time ago. We’re all the remaining humans left on this planet. Why not work together?” Charlie explained.
            “I’m glad all is going well for you. How are you with finding Sarah?” Mary asked.
            “Thanks. I still haven’t made contact with her. Perhaps she’s busy or the UNSC has taken control of her communications.” Charlie sighed.
            “Don’t give up.” Mary placed her hand on Charlie’s hand.
            “Thanks. I won’t.” Charlie reassured.
            “Hey Zyrok.” Mary looked at Charlie.
            “Yeah?” Charlie returned with a glance.
            “I wish all the best for you and your life.” Mary wished.
            “What do you mean?” Charlie wondered.
            “I’m officially moving to the Scavengers’ Holdout tomorrow.” Mary spoke and smiled lightly.
            “Why?” Charlie looked with concerned eyes.
            “Well, I want to live a normal life. The Scavengers seem to be the one that offers a life that was similar before the apocalypse.” Mary reasoned.
            “Too militaristic here?” Charlie asked.
            “I think so. I want to give the Scavengers a try.” Mary spoke her mind.
            “Very well. I wish you all the best as well.” Charlie wished.
            “Thanks. Look, before I go tomorrow, I’ll come see you.” Mary said with a smile and stood up.
            “Okay…” Charlie spoke sadly and stood next to Mary.
            “You can still visit me at the Holdout. After all, you’ve got access.” Mary patted Charlie’s chest.
            “I guess so.” Charlie muttered.
            “Don’t worry too much.” Mary smiled and walked off.
            Charlie stood motionless as he watched Mary enter behind the counter and put on her apron. He watched as she served food to a few marines before Mary noticed Charlie watching. Mary smiled and turned back to doing her work.  
            “Perhaps I worry too much.” Charlie mumbled under his breath.
            Charlie looked at his watch and decided to head to his office.
            “Perhaps I worry because I care…” Charlie told himself as he waved at Mary and left the cafeteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and give your feedback. Thanks!