Sunday, July 8, 2012

Chapter 43- The Want Effect


             I’m not sure if you find this true, but I’ve seem to believe in this theory of the want effect. What is the want effect? Well, it’s basically the more you want of something, the harder it is to get it or obtain it. Is there really an explanation for it? Not really. You can call it bad luck, coincidence, or the mystery of the universe, but this want effect is bound to happen in your life. I just seem to notice it more often nowadays.

            First example, the fuel price. When I want to fill up my car with fuel, gas prices are at a high. When I’m not looking for fuel and I pass by gas stations, the prices are so cheap. Perhaps, it’s just coincidence that my fuel runs out when it’s at a high price. But if I look at it, I want fuel for my car and I must have it. When I don’t want fuel, the price is low. Perhaps it’s good marketing on the gas station as it meets up with the public demand.

            Second example, the gaming world. Not realistic in any way, but when I’m searching for rare items with the objective set in my head, I never find the items. I have a gaming friend who has not set the objective of finding the rare items, he happens to find the rarest item in the game. Was it bad lick on my part and good luck on his part? Perhaps, but if you take a closer look at our wants and desires, the more I desire to search the items, I can’t even find it. The less my gaming friend desires to search the best item, he manages to find it. Maybe it’s the mindset so that you will be surprised when you least expect it.

            Third example, the relationship race. In my high school when I was in grade eight, there were two girls that liked me. At that time, my mind was not into the race and I did not pursue the relationship from them. Now that I start to begin the race, I am so far behind and it seems almost impossible to find the One. Upon a closer examination, you’ll find that it’s all in the wants and desires. In grade eight, I wasn’t interested in relationships and I got girls who liked me. Now that I’m interested in relationships, I can barely find girls that liked me in high school. Perhaps it was the age and level of maturity. Perhaps it’s just the want effect.

            Still unexplained, the want effect continues to prove that the more you want something, the harder it is to obtain and to achieve it. I guess I could consider it as a wall that I’ll have to face in my life. Another unsolved mystery in the universe as to why the more you want, the harder it is to get is now added to my books about my life in this memoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and give your feedback. Thanks!