Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Day 203

Day 203
Tues. Apr. 15, 2014

Day 203 will be the last post on my first-year experiences. Guess what the weather is outside today? Snow and more snow! It's feels like a parting gift to remind me of what Waterloo is like.

I woke up really early today and got all my boxes and suitcases shipped out by Store Your Dorm. It's really a fast and convenient service for storing or sending your stuff. Anyways, I went to have my lunch with my roommate at Kabob Hut and it was okay. Mostly rice that fills you up and not the other meats. Would I recommend it? Probably because the customer service was good.

When I went back home, my mum told me that she had a talk with my other roommate about house cleaning. The microwave was messy, kitchen stove greasy, and the garbage bins maxed out. My mum decided to help clean and he just stood their watching. That's when she asked him about house cleaning and responsibilities and was countered by a statement of "studying for final exams". When my mum said it was everyone's responsibility to clean the house, he walked away. Wow, eh?

Anyways, my roommate, my mum, and I went to Beck Hall to drop my keys and then headed for the bus stop. I bid farewell to my friend and then got on the bus to Toronto.

After a few hours of commuting, we've finally arrived at a place to stay and I began writing my final UWaterloo experience essay highlighting notable people. Here is what I've written:

Being here at the University of Waterloo Global Business and Digital Arts (GBDA) Program was a
memorable and life-changing experience. Despite paying thousands of dollars in education, residence, and textbooks, there were some valuable experiences and networks built through this first-year
experience. I would like to take the time to highlight some of the new experiences, the forging of friends, and the networks built.

Residence Life Notables

One of the first notable person to be recognized is my don Ankit Curchorcar who made the transition from BC to university easier for me by helping us integrate this transition through social events and gatherings. (Thank you for all the guidance and aid you've given me.)

A very important person contributing to university residence life is Jack Vodov, a fun warm-hearted roommate, who's supported me through the tough and easy times during university. (Thanks Jack. Good times during Poker Nights and fine wine nights talking about life and its issues. Remember that 10 year future outlook, let's see it happen! Good luck with your studies and life.)

Residence Life Honourable Mentions

Camila Sil
(Thanks for all your help and with your support in ResCouncil. I'll look back at the laminated door tag for memories.)

Sachin Duggal
(Thank you for contributing to residence life as well as giving me help when needed.)

Frosh Week Notables

The next notable person from frosh week is Rocky Chen, the rowdiest Arts student, who was a swell guy in Team Orchid and Team Gold that contributed to the first place win of the Google Trip. (Good luck with GBDA and its society Rocky! Keep it rowdy.)

The other notable person from frosh week is Ariana Cuvin, an amazing singer, from Team Gold whom I later got to know more of through INTST101 and parties. (Ariana, don't stop singing and good luck with the future.)

Frosh Week Honourable Mentions

Mickey Areibi
(Mickey, it's been nice ever since meeting you on Team Gold. Good luck mate.)

Zachary Witt
(Zachary, remember the day on frosh week where I approached a girl at the Ask Me booth for her phone number? Good times and go team gold! Thanks for your GBDA design and showing me how SIMS worked. Best of luck.)

GBDA Notables

The notable individual from VCULT100 and GBDA102 goes to Ryan Tan, an exceptional artist and speaker, whom I had a great opportunity to work alongside creating a the YesCard. (Ryan, we were the guy who always had the most hilarious remarks in VCULT100 and a great designer. It was unfortunate that our paths didn't cross in Term 2, but I'm sure we will again in the future friend. Remember, your works of art are amazing and don't let grades affect who you are and your abilities.)

The other notable individual is Jay Barrett, a good light-hearted friend, who was in Team Gold and been in most of my GBDA classes and INTST101. (Jay, it's been quite a journey with you in all my classes. We make a great team ever since Team Gold triumphed on frosh week. Despite some difficulties in our group, we managed to go through hell and back to obtain a decent mark. Remember to pick me up when I return.)

The GBDA notable from VCULT100 is Calen Siddall, the tall funny fellow, where I first met him during a weekly screening session and later got to know him better through social events. (Calen, although we rarely talked in the first term, I'm really glad that we did because you are such an interesting guy to hang out with. I don't know if it's me, but you make really really good jokes that give me a good laugh. Also, thanks for letting me use your music in my films! When I come visit, it will be easy to spot you in the crowd.)

The other GBDA notable is Remily Middaugh, the sweet selfie-loving girl, where I met her officially in
a mixed class despite having no same classes other than ARBUS200. (Remily, even though we never really had the chance to have classes together, it has been a honour meeting you and getting to know you. Don't worry too much about school and enjoy the little things such as parties recommended by Siri. Tell Greg I said my thanks for being a great pal in the parties and I will try to learn his beer pong shots. I'll come visit in the future, perhaps in Stratford. Good luck with everything.)

Another notable is Austin Fisher, a great music composer, who I met in my GBDA102 group project as an outstanding team contributor. (Austin, it was nice meeting you in my GBDA102 and working with you on the Australia project. Thanks for showing me some of your impressive scripts and soundtracks to use in my film. Although we didn't have too much parties together, it was nice having you around to hang. Have fun in GBDA mate!)

The next notable is Ian Gilliland, a good poker player, who I had the opportunity to play against on
Monday Poker Nights with his exceptional Irish luck. (Ah Ian, so many impressive poker hands and skills that on bluffing that I have start to use in my gameplay. All the best for you!)

Another notable is Michelle Kostka, a girl full of surprises, who could turn anything into something
humorous at parties. (Michelle! Cards of judgement...no…cards against humanity. It was really nice to meet you officially from the first party on St. Paddy's Day. You've always been a great guest at the party with your hilarious remarks, humour, and actions. I wish you all the best in GBDA!)

GBDA Honorable Mentions

Jonathan MacAlpine
(Thank you Jonathan for starting the trolling revolution on the GBDA page. Also, thanks for attending the first few poker nights. It had been a blast!)

Jeff Cen
(Jeff, I remember the first time meeting you in VCULT100 and realizing you were GBDA. Good times at the parties! Best of luck!)

Kavi Anand
(Thanks Kavi for making GBDA103 such an amazing class and bring Aryan over to help with the projects. I wish you all the best in GBDA.)

Katie Clark
(Katie, I'll always remember that time when you asked Jay if you could go to the washroom in GBDA103. It was also nice to have you over at our parties. Good luck with your studies.)

Vlad Artym
(Vlad, good time in the ECON101 project and your skills are always high calibre. Best wishes to your future endeavours!)

Pedja Ristic
(Pedja, it was nice having you in GBDA103 and GBDA101. Despite no classes together in Term 2, it was
great to chat on the bus to and from Stratford. All the best for you!)

WCP Notables

The notable from WCP is Anthony Zhang, a mastermind in creation, where I had the chance to build snow art and film together in the WCP. (Anthony, thanks for volunteering for my film and showing me that ketchup is truly awesome by itself. Also, thanks for bringing that extra pizza over on the final party. I wish you all the best!)
The next notable from WCP is Victor Szeko, a light-hearted fellow, who I had the privilege to work with
in the WCP Winter Olympics. (Victor, I think you make my ResCouncil days much more interesting because you are such a nice fellow to the group. Also, we nailed that Winter Olympics and sang our best at karaoke nights. Good lucky buddy.)

WCP Honorable Mentions

Shayan Sohail
(Shayan, thanks for volunteering for my film and being a fun person to be with in ResCouncil. All the best.)

Mathieu Beauchesne
(Thank you Mathieu for attending our residence events. Remember the first time I met you at karaoke
night? I guess I'll practice on some of the songs you suggested. Remember that 10 year outlook? Don't forget to send postcards. Good luck mate!)

Nam-Hwui Kim
(Nam-Hwui, it's been quite a journey in ResCouncil. It was nice having you as WCP President because I enjoyed your awesomeness. Remember to keep that accent! Best of luck.)

Alice Liu
(Alice, thanks for that hot milk tea you gave Anthony and I on that cold snow sculpting day. Yes, I still
remember that act of kindness. I wish you all the best with your studies.)

Graham Barnes
(Graham, thanks for an awesome ResCouncil and residence life experience. It was great to work with you in many events. Good luck!)

Winnie Kam
(Winnie, thank you contributing to residence life through ResCouncil and your first-year FEDS position. All the best!)

Kayley Marner
(Kayley, it was nice playing that poker tournament at the party when you and I went all in in the final
round. I remembered your straight to king while I had a straight to ace. A good play and it was nice when you came over with Deborah for more poker. Sorry I scared you that night when you were leaving your house. Good luck with your studies.)

Carolyn Chen
(Thank you Carolyn for checking up on me the day after I came back from the hospital. I remembered you being a trooper too on that Dodgeball tournament when you got knocked down. Best wishes to you and your studies.)

UW Notables

The best notable classmate from ARTS111 is Jessica Hunt, a funny and interesting girl, where we met on Day 2 of classes during an interactivity. (Thanks Jessica for making this class so interesting especially with the Yian guy highlight the class with bombardment of questions and personal opinions. Best of luck with your studies at Waterloo!)

Overall, it has been a great journey here at UWaterloo and I will surely miss it. It's not the place that's great, it's the people that make it great. For the people following me on this journey since September, I would like to thank for reading and giving me the support. If you want to keep in touch, my UWaterloo e-mail will be active for some time if you would like to contact me. This is Charlie Chu signing off for the last time and I wish everyone the best of luck with their studies and finding the career of their dreams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and give your feedback. Thanks!