Thursday, June 7, 2012

Chapter 12- The Alpha


             Everyone has their own leadership qualities and skills. However, some work very well and some not so much. Leading people is all about the human interaction. I’ve seen some great leaders and some really terrible ones.

            Being a leader is not by expressing one’s power and dominance over others. In my opinion, being a leader is the ability to level yourself with others and have understanding for each other. If I took on a leadership role, I prefer to be called by my first name. No boss, mister, president, etc. My name plain and simple. Trust is another factor in determining a good leader. Someone who is reliable and trustworthy will gain the loyalty and respect from the people.

            An example of a good leader would be charging into a battlefield with his men behind him. It shows that he is willing to put his life over others which increase morale and loyalty for the leader. If it was a bad leader, he would send his men out first and then follow behind. His men would think that they are expendable and thus lose morale and loyalty.

            Remember my boss at work who picked on me? He is an example of a horrible leader. Every day I get back from work, I lose respect for him. They say bad leaders bring bad followers, it is indeed true. From what I’ve seen at work, the way he makes fun of a guy of his weight like no big deal, it’s exhibited by other coworkers. I feel sorry for the guy because he is a really nice guy. You can’t judge somebody because of their size; you have to see the person inside for who they are. That’s the way of a good leader. Putting biases and first impressions aside and getting to know each and every person.

            I think every day in our lives, we have seen leadership qualities that work and those that don’t. From my experience, I make sure that whenever I take on a leading position, I do what works well and ensure that I don’t become a hated person. Truth is, there are always going to be bad leaders in our world. That’s reality. Although some may like my leadership, others may not. It’s totally your opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and give your feedback. Thanks!