Monday, June 18, 2012

Chapter 23- Stuck on the Spider's Web


             We’ve all been victims of something or somebody. Sometimes we just want to break free away from harm’s way, but we can never be free. Some victims take a stand, others give in, and others prey on the weaker ones to feel better. I personally don’t pick on the weaker and the small guys just because I’m a victim. Other people don’t deserve the transfer of rage or pain. These people are innocent and should not be part of the cycle, or else it will never end.

            Remember the boss at my work who was sexist? He continued to pick on me because I’m a guy. One day at work, he was picking on my procedures at work by saying that it was disorganized and incorrect. I asked him simply if he thought I had a problem so that I could know my mistakes and fix it. He immediately turned offensive on me and gave me an angry face. He said that my personality and attitude was not suitable for this group and walked out on me leaving me sitting alone by myself for thirty minutes. Once again, I still don’t know what my mistakes were. How can one fix a mistake if your boss doesn’t tell you what you are doing wrong and what he wants to see? It’s impossible. When the lead of my group that shift gave over to see how I was doing, I got upset and emotional at my counter. I cried because I couldn’t take it anymore of his attitude and I felt helpless because he was my boss.

            Can I take a stand for my dignity and unjust actions? Would there be a consequence? Usually there is really no way out. Either I take a stand and get fired or I give in and get kicked out. As I evaluated the two options, I realized a conclusion. Either way will result in termination of my job. One will leave my self respect intact and my values strong and the other one will leave me with no self respect, no confidence, and no dignity. I told myself that I would have to act soon. The more I give in, the stronger and more frequent he picks on me. It is not right and fair for him to treat me like this. I am not his loyal pet; I am a human being that deserves equal respect just like everybody else. There shall be no difference just because I’m a guy. I prepared myself for the next few days as I continued to take his shots. This time, I shall be strong as I told myself. This time, I shall take a stand for what I believe in. Equality and respect amongst each other in the workplace. For me, the battlefield is at work, but I believe it should be a universal field.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and give your feedback. Thanks!