Thursday, June 14, 2012

Chapter 19- A Friend I Once Knew


             My friend from secondary school who helped run my club was not who I knew anymore. When I met him in grade nine, he was a smart, hardworking, and caring person. Now that I look at the present, his smartness became cockiness. Hardworking to procrastinating or laziness. His caring nature became a selfish one.

            This all changed within two years after the first time I met him. How is it possible? I can only presume from some information I have gathered from other friends. One, it can be because he is in a relationship now and forgot his duties as the leader of the club. Two, he has lost interest in taking a leadership role. Three, he has forgotten to take off his body armor and have become too absorbed with himself. I will never know if it’s all of the above, one of them, or none at all.

            The more and more changes he has made to his personality, the more and more I start to lose respect for a great guy I used to know. I liked him the way he was before, but I will never know what has made him change so quickly. Even though it seems like the symptoms of having body armor, I can never be sure. It’s sad how a great guy can fall in just two years time.

            I wonder if I will be like him in the future or different. I want to maintain who I am now. A responsible, outgoing, caring, honest, and a unique person. To be respected within the community and to be liked by all people. This is going to be part of my journey to happiness.

            The friend I use to know was smart and humble. He would listen to other’s ideas without asking rhetorical questions about your intelligence. He used to complete tasks within a timeframe, but now they are all excuses on why he can’t complete them at all or on time. He was once a caring friend who helped me talk about issues in my life. No matter what the issues were, he would set the time for me to talk to him. Now he is just so occupied with his life, that he doesn’t have the time for me or anything else.

            It’s sad how you can lose a friend in just two years time because of a personality change. I personally think he has forgotten to take off his armor, but I will never know. Perhaps in the future, we would be good friends again…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and give your feedback. Thanks!