Thursday, June 21, 2012

Chapter 26- Taking the First Step


            Being the first is always the hardest. No matter how prepared you are for something, you’ll never succeed on the first attempt. But if you never take the first step, you’ll never advance and know what could happen. Most opportunities don’t come towards you if you don’t take the first step. Some examples are jobs, asking out a girl, or simply asking out for help.

            What are the chances that you sit at home waiting for someone to offer you a job? Almost unlikely. The first step one would need to do is to submit resumes and cover letters to many organizations in order to get a call. Most of the time, you don’t get a call, but you learn how to better sell yourself and to improve your resume. From that first step, you’ll know what you need to do to further yourself.

            What are the chances that the girl you like also likes you if you don’t ask her out? Once again, very rare because you don’t know. From my experience, I couldn’t lie to myself if the girl from my gaming group likes me, so I had to take the first step and ask her. It was hard because there can only be two responses. A yes or a no. After that step, I know what I did wrong and right in order to better prepare myself the next time. Since that was my first time asking out a girl, I have better experience when it comes to this matter again because I’ve taken my first step.

            If you are in trouble and need someone to help, does help come to you when you don’t call for it? Realistically, no. When I had my crisis back in post-secondary, I took my first step in sharing it out with that girl. I also took my first step when I went to see a counselor for help. Although I was unsure and scared, I took my first step to seek help. I’m glad I did it.

            New opportunities arise when you take a first step into the unknown territory. No matter what result it is, positive or negative, you will have gained a new experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and give your feedback. Thanks!