Friday, June 8, 2012

Chapter 13- Behind the Kevlar Vest


             We all got a body armor to protect us from the harshness of reality. The times when we take off our armor are when we are open, intimate, and sharing our secrets. There are some people who forgot to remove their armor once in a while and become a hardened and selfish person.

            I believe in taking off my bulletproof vest most of the time. I only put it on when I feel the need for my own personal protection. What kind of protection? Psychological and mental protection from others. There is goodness in everyone, but people forget it because of the armor. Some people are afraid to take off the armor once they have put it on. They feel safe and secure, but the emotions and caring nature are blocked.

            People need to know that the armor is there for us when we need it to protect our dignity, self-esteem, and self respect. It is not to be used daily as it is our own defensive measures. Sometimes our own defensive measures become offensive without us even knowing it. That is what I believe to be an issue when you deal with hardened and offensive person in your life. Although reality is harsh, don’t block out all the emotions that make you human.

            As you probably noticed up till now, this memoir is written with my armor off. I intend to keep it that way so I can keep it true while not being judgmental of others. Even though I may be upset with a certain person, I believe I should be calm and understanding and tell my stories.

            I personally think that’s harder to crack open a guy’s armor than it is for girls. Perhaps girls don’t wear it most of the time. In our society, guys have to be tough and dominant. We would be laughed at if we were weak or emotional. I think it should not be that way just because of gender differences. Just because of one’s gender, it doesn’t mean we can fire more shots into their armor. Sometimes the shots penetrate the armor and you hurt the person without even knowing it.

            One thing for sure when putting on the body armor, put it on when you are getting harassed or abused. Put it on when you are taking a stand for what you believe in. Put it on for what’s right. Never put it on so that you can be powerful just to harm others and become less human.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and give your feedback. Thanks!