Saturday, October 19, 2013

Day 40

Day 40
Sat. Oct. 19, 2013

Today was Residence Dodgeball tournament at CIF! Originally we had over ten people sign up for a 7 person team. Turns out only six of us showed up for the games. The theme was "Hunger Games" and let me tell you it was indeed living up to its name.

Why? The game was intense because the first round I got smacked in the eye while trying to charge for ball. Not fun, but the worst part is when the second team we played killed me. In the game, there is a "hunter" in which he/she can cross the border to tag without firing any balls. This hunter that charged at me was a massive 120kg minimum guy who fell and placed his whole body weight on my left toe. The pain was excruciating and when the referee said that the ice machine was broken and that I'll be sitting out for the team and we will have a deficit, I took one for the team. Shouldered the pain and managed to play until that whole game with team two was over. One of my best dodges when was was injured was that I was last man standing and got cornered...I cartwheeled to dodge a shot.

Game three with the third team is where I couldn't handle the pain anymore. I took off my shoe and saw that my socks were soaked in blood. I knew I was done and that the injuries were somewhat extensive. I left the gym to get patched up when I heard that one of our teammates tripped and fell on her head on the gym floor. So serious that it may have been a spinal injury and that paramedics rushed to get her to the hospital. Hunger Games much? We forfeited the game at that point because it's not about winning. It's about the teamwork and our residence community.

That girl who got sent to the hospital came back the following night with short term memory loss of what happened that day. Other than that, she was fine. Thank god.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and give your feedback. Thanks!