Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Day 72

Day 72
Wed. Nov. 20, 2013

Today was supposed to be a typical day just like any other day at ARBUS200 Wednesdays such as presentations, long days, and group work. Nothing really stood out that much except a brief networking exercise that last for two minutes.

I came home to work on my ENGL100A essay to wrap things up and I noticed that my girlfriend had expressed some dark thoughts on FaceBook. I texted her asking what was wrong and to my surprise, she had been assaulted by some guy who she knew. That made me very and angry and upset, but there was a situation at hand. She was lost in a rural area and running scared. I was able to calm her down and convince to her to call the police. Keeping my sense of the situation she was going through, I told her to tell me details of where she was. I asked for roads, street names, highways, electricity towers, fences, shops, etc. from her and was quickly able to help her track down where she was roughly through my Google Map street view and bird's eye view. Then I gave her the rough location and told her to tell the police where she may be.

Just so you know, this is all done in text. Anyways, the police arrived and brought her home. He asked questions and details of the assault and left. What was astonishing was that he didn't leave her a name card, or some crisis phone line, or even a police file number. I felt like the police is corrupted. Here I was convincing my girlfriend to report the incident with courage and all she got was that they will be working on getting him into jail. If this was a puppet show, I'm sure I could do better than just saying that if it's just lip service.

Later, I told her to go and tell her mum of the incident. To my disbelief, she said her mum listened and then walked away. I'm somewhat disturbed and disgusted with her mother's action. My girlfriend told me that I was the only one who actually cared about her...perhaps. And perhaps the only person who truly loves her...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and give your feedback. Thanks!